An interview with Łukasz Wala

Iga Pala: Today we have the pleasure to host Łukasz Wala who is a YouTuber using a wheelchair. Łukasz’s channel became successful on Polish YouTube, so we are very pleased that he agreed to this conversation. Let’s move on to the questions.

Could you tell us something about your routine, things you need to do everyday because of the wheelchair?


Łukasz Wala: Talking about my normal routine, I don’t think it’s different from other people’s, it isn’t anything special. The one thing I have to do every morning is the morning toilet and it usually takes an hour. I have to sit there and wait till my bowels start working. So it’s the only thing I need to plan: to wake up this hour or even an hour and a half earlier to be able to do everything before starting the day. For example, if I’m leaving my house at, let’s say, 8 a.m, I have to wake up at 6:30 a.m. You could say I’m doing my make-up.


Which questions or behaviours make you feel uncomfortable and happen too often?


I personally don’t find any questions or behaviours inappropriate, but I know there are lots of other people using wheelchairs that are sensitive and don’t really like some questions. In my case, there are no such situations, my friends know that they can ask me whatever they like, doesn’t matter whether the questions are about something related to sex or toilet, they can ask me about literally everything. Other people generally like to say things straight into my face and I don’t have problems with it, but I know others can have. For example: “What happened to you?” or “What kind of accident did you have?”. These are actually the first things new people ask about, so in your place I would remember it may not be the best idea.


How would you rate the knowledge society has about disabilities?


How would I rate… I think it would be 5 out of 10. People know something, but around a half of the whole is still unknown and I think it changes a lot nowadays, they become more aware and I believe it’s also because of my presence in the media. So, yeah, I think 5 out of 10 is pretty accurate.


Referring to the previous question, I would like to ask you about one thing you think is something everyone should know about people using wheelchairs?


I think the most important thing is to treat us normally, talk to us normally -  I’ve realised that people without any disabilities often create nicknames for us, they often speak like we were children, even though these people are for example 30 years old. People without disabilities immediately treat us like we were helpless, weak, I don’t know how to say it differently… They say for example “Should I open the door?”, etc. even though we do such things on a daily basis without anyone’s help. People do that a lot so I think that’s the answer to my questions.


Are there any important, but less known problems with using wheelchairs?


There’s one that almost nobody talks about - the sex topic. It actually is a taboo subject and people who want to have a relationship with others who use a wheelchair may be really concerned. I think they often have questions in mind such as: "how would it look like?" or "is it even possible to have sex with people with disabilities?", they may often think the relationship wouldn't work out because such thoughts, while it actually is possible to have sex and enjoy the relationship with people on wheelchairs. So I think it's important to talk about this sphere and to explain the myths to people. 


If any online hate or discrimination touch you, do they hurt more than in real life?


I don't think so, I don't see much of it. Personally, I don't care about it much and even if it happens, which is not very often, I remember about it only while reading or hearing it — then I completely forget that something like this happened.


What gives you the most pleasure about creating stuff in social media?


I think it's people's responses, the fact that they actually do watch, comment, get involved, and also contact with people, for example in dms on Instagram, or in comments on TikTok or YouTube. I'm really enjoying it. Another thing is when I create a video, I montage it and I like the final version, it's pretty cool and it gives me a lot of satisfaction. So yes, these two things would be the answer to your question. And also something that may be obvious: increasing numbers are also really satisfying and motivating.


Is there something you've learned from your new situation?


My new situation opened my eyes at some point. I've realized that caring about very small and not important details isn't worth the effort. Now I actually don't care about anything, at least anything that isn't about my family or its health, etc, stuff like this. And yes, I think it's the most important thing I've learned. 


A link to the interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7-cxcnxLw8&feature=youtu.be




Komentarze

Popularne posty z tego bloga

An interview with Lauren @cortisol.queen

CRPS week- the story of Weronika Różycka (wersja po angielsku)

An interview with Jess @delicatelittlepetal