EDS week- history of Ella Coleman


Hi, my names Ella, I’m 17 and I’m from England. I first became chronically ill nearly 3 years ago now, and since then I’ve been diagnosed with EDS, POTS, ME and MCAS. Daily I deal with dislocations, pain, allergic reactions, dizziness and passing out, fatigue, nausea and cramps, and a lot of the trauma that’s been caused by my illnesses. EDS is genetic and there is no cure, it’s something that I’m going to deal with on some level for the rest of my life.


My life has certainly changed a lot; I have become a wheelchair user, missed 2 years of school, been to more doctors than I can count, had a lot of trips to the hospital, I’ve had seizures, passed out, had concussions, lost the ability to eat most foods, been in ambulances multiple times and more. But it’s not all bad I promise, in fact right now I’m probably the happiest I’ve ever been.


I know that might sound crazy (if you’d told me that when I first became sick, I wouldn’t have believed it) but for me it’s true! Chronic illness has taken things from me but given me so much as well. If I wasn’t chronically ill, I wouldn’t have the amazing friends I do now from all over the world, I wouldn’t be as resilient or confident, I wouldn’t be learning to love my body despite its flaws, I wouldn’t have discovered my passion for politics and I would have never found wheelchair tennis, a sport I have absolutely fallen in love with! All these things have brought so much joy to my life and without my chronic illness I wouldn’t have gotten to experience any of these things. I have some pretty high hopes for the future (having a lot of time in bed gives me plenty of time to daydream), I want to go to university, maybe even study abroad and my dream job would be getting to work in Washington DC! I want to travel and hopefully get to meet all my amazing internet friends, and to keep playing wheelchair tennis and just enjoy life. My life might not look the same as other people my age, but I’m okay with that because I am truly happy.








Komentarze

Popularne posty z tego bloga

An interview with Lauren @cortisol.queen

CRPS week- the story of Weronika Różycka (wersja po angielsku)

An interview with Jess @delicatelittlepetal